Afghan government confirms no security issue would arise after US troops withdrawal

December 23, 2018 6:04 am0 commentsViews: 109

Afghanistan government believes security situation of the country will not be affected with the withdrawal of 7,000 US troops.

Lately US President Donald Trump announced to be withdrawing American troops from Afghanistan and Syria.

Afghan President’s chief adviser Fazel Fazly said, “If the few thousand foreign troops that advise, train and assist, leave it will not affect our security.”

He added that for more than four years the security of Afghanistan had been completely under their command and direction, and the final goal is that the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces will protect the country on their own.

The same was confirmed by presidential spokesperson Haroon Chakhansuri over social media.

There are currently 14,000 US troops in Afghanistan, as part of a NATO-led mission, known as Resolute Support, and US media outlets have lately reported Trump would withdraw half of the army personnel.

About 130,000 international troops entered the country in 2002 after US forces intervened to topple Taliban government. About 2,500 US troops have lost their lives since then.

Former Minisry of Defense spokesman Zahir Azimi however said the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan soil could affect Afghan troops’ capabilities in conducting effective night raids.

The Taliban meanwhile are fighting to remove foreign forces from Afghanistan and defeat the government.

Tags:
Loading...

Leave a Reply