Lost passport instructions. Important to know for travelers

November 10, 2019 2:54 pm0 commentsViews: 169

What do I do for a lost passport?
Can I replace a lost passport in 1 day?

When traveling overseas it is essential to have an up-to-date passport. You do not want to to travel a passport which expires in less than six months. Even if your trip is only for a week or two, you never know what could happen, and you don’t want to end up someplace with an expired passport. But with like most other documents it is possible to lose the passport. If this ever occurs, there are a few ways to go about reporting it and applying for a new one.

Lost passport instructions. Important to know for travelers

Make sure the passport was lost and not stolen

Make sure the passport was lost and not stolen. If you are passport was lost there is no need to file a claim with the local police department. However, if your not sure what exactly happened to your passport you will be better off making a police report. If this is the case, contact the local authorities, but if it takes place within the United States, do not call 911. That number is for emergencies only.

What if you are In the United States?

If your passport disappears while you are still in the United States you should get in touch with the local police department. Even if you think you might have just accidentally thrown it in with a load of laundry or left it in your uncle’s car, it is better to be safe than sorry. Explain what exactly happened. A report will be made.

A passport can be lost or damaged in a number of different ways. It can be misplaced or fall out of a bag. It could be left inside clothes while they are washed. You will need to contact the U.S. State Department. (This holds true for stolen passports as well.)

If you need your passport immediately, call (877) 487-2778. The number is in operation Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

If there is no immediate need for your passport, fill out form DS-64 and mail it to the address listed on the form. The form can be picked up at a local post office, a passport acceptance facility, a passport agency, or a copy can be downloaded and printed from the U.S. State Department’s website.

What if Your Passport is lost overseas?

If your passport is misplaced while you are overseas, you will want to contact the local police department. Go to the nearest police station and inform them what happened. A report will be made.

Contact the nearest American Embassy. Tell them exactly what happened. They will need to issue you a new passport so you can exit the country and return to the United States. Depending on your location this could take a few days. If at all possible stay in that area of the country and do not attempt to cross into a different nation.


Leave a Reply